The iPad is a great tablet for watching movies and other media. Apple continues to improve the device making each new version thinner, lighter and improving speakers and screen resolution.
The ever popular iPad is ideal for watching media viewing, whether you’re on the bus, laying on the lounge or even in bed. There are many of video streaming services requore an active need an internet connection to deliver video to your iPad for you to view.
This is not always possible, especially if you own a Wi-Fi only iPad, or if you have a small data allowance on your iPad. This can make the daily commute of any traveling with your iPad boring and an exercise in frustration. You know you could be watching a movie etc but without a data connection you’re left staring at the back of someone’s head on the train.
In these situations if you had some files already downloaded you could view and not be forced to play ispy with yourself. In order to do this you will need to know exactly how to get these files onto your iPad.
Below are some of the more popular ways to get movies to your iPad. We have included what we hope are clearly laid out and easy-to-follow instructions to keep you entertained on those long car trips.
If you are in search of the easiest way to transfer movies from a computer to your iPad, the answer is iTunes. Although it is not the sole medium, it definitely counts among the most convenient one in making you transfer even rented movies as well as digital copies loaded in compact discs. So if you are having an iPad, you simply need to connect it to your computer so that you can access iTunes. The process is very simple. Take a look:
- With your iPad ready to connect and then open iTunes on your laptop or computer.
- Go to the device menu and choose your iPad from the top left portion of the screen.
- Go to the list of movies at the left side of iTunes where you will find a page enlisted with all compatible film files.
- You will find the Sync Movies box which you will have to tick it for choosing films you wish to sync with your iPad.
- If you want to get them all as well as for your tablet so that it updates everytime it is synced with your laptop or computer, choose the Automatically Include box and click the All option.
- In case you don’t find all the files under the Movies section, check once under TV Shows. The reason is that iTunes can arrange your files in a weird manner.
On the other hand, you can always download movies from iTunes store to your tablet, and for this, you will not have to connect the computer. These are the steps:
- Go to iTunes Store app
- Go to the menu located at the bottom of the screen and choose the Films section
- Choose the movie and pay for it
- Choose to download the film so that you can watch offline
On accessing the Videos app on your iPad, you will find videos that have been rented or purchased through iTunes. Rented movies have a validity of 30 days. So try to finish off watching a movie within 24 hours so that you don’t run out of time. Apart from this, Google Play makes it easier for you to buy movies and TV shows from it. You can then download them onto your iPad where you can watch them at any time you want. In fact, you do not have to look for a Wi-Fi connection.
If you are willing to transfer video files from your computer to your iPad without taking help of iTunes, you can avail the cloud storage service that will get this job done with ease. You just need to select your preferred service that ranges like Google Drive or Dropbox. You can thereafter upload files, choose and download them on your iPad.
If you use Dropbox, for instance, you have to initiate the following process:
- Access your Dropbox online and sign in
- Click on the Upload button that stays at the top right of the screen.
- Select the file and open the Dropbox app
- Look for the file you are willing to save for offline purpose
- Click on the download arrow button, and choose the option Make Available Online
Some movies file types are not supported by iTunes. For these ones you’ll want VLC for Mobile. This is an incredibly useful app that is able to play just about any video file you throw at it.
This app is universal, can be downloaded freely and is available for the iPad, the iPhone, and even your Apple Watch.
Additionally VLC for Mobile, will stream files directly from your cloud storage service if you have internet connectivity.
The procedure of getting VLC to see your video files involves syncing with iTunes.
- Go to iTunes, select the iPad from the device list.
- Tap the Apps section, and find VLC in the list, and highlight it.
- To the right is a panel labelled VLC Documents. Tap the Add button at the bottom
- Select the video files from your computer. They will sync to your iPad directly and will be ready to be played back via the VLC app.
There are many other apps that provide the same or similar features to VLC, perhaps there is an app that you use and is your favourite? If you’d like more information read this guide on movie apps it gives a list of the top movie apps to use in 2017.
Do you enjoy purchasing movies or TV shows from Google Play? If so then there is no need to worry as these files can also be downloaded to your iPad and be ready to watch whenever you are. With this method you don’t need to sync your iPad with computer to get them. There is a need for a Wi-Fi connection to do this, so it;s best to prepare this before you need them.
- Download to your iPad the Play Movies app from the iTunes App Store.
- Once you have opened the app, select your Google account.
- The app will display your content and tap the menu button from the top left section of the screen
- Tap on the My Library option
- Any movies that you have purchased will be displayed. There will be a download button beside each title. Tapping this button will commence the file download to have it ready to watch whilst you’re offline.
That’s our list of the ways to play video files on your iPad, whether you’ve got a data connection or not. We hope you enjoyed reading and have learnt!